Monday, January 19, 2009

Must-have vegan cornbread recipe


If you have not seen this yet, do yourself a favor and check out this recipe for Dana Sly's Blue Ribbon Vegan Cornbread. I have made this many times, including for Thanksgiving with the family--it is always a hit. The bread is slightly sweet, and for the batch pictured here I added some chopped red bell pepper and scallions to the batter and it was great. I have also added jalapeno peppers in the past, and that was my favorite variation so far. It looks sort of speckled from the surprise ingredient--lots and lots of ground flaxseed. The flax keep the bread moist on the inside while the crust gets just a little crunchy. Flax is also incredibly healthy: lots of omega three fatty aids without the cholesterol, mercury or environmental consequences of eating fish. Keep on swimming fishies!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cornbread vegan-izes great, doesn't it? I recently made a variation where I used cornmeal and rye flour instead of whole wheat, and pizza spices. Very tasty.

Ty said...

i'm pretty sure this is the one i made this past thanksgiving! it went to two separate homes & was loved by all.

maurainelle said...

I didn't know flax seed could do that! Thanks for sharing!